Wednesday 14 September 2011

Windows 8 - Part 1

So since yesterday, there is a lot of buzz online of Windows 8, people downloading the dev preview, and they aren't alone, I've downloaded it, just not got round to trying it yet, but I will soon.

Anyway, main point of this blog post. I was watching the live webcast yesterday, and I do like some of the features they have in Windows 8, one being protection against autorun malware, they tested a USB pen drive infected with a rootkit and the machine refused to boot with that active - good defence.

One thing that bothers me though, this built in antivirus they are hyping so much. I can't see it ending nicely, take note from what happened with Internet Explorer, MS were forced into making Browser Choice for the end users, and I know I aren't the only one sat thinking MS are gonna get sued into making "Antivirus Choice".

But anyway, that's not for me to worry about. What is to worry about, is if this is going to be good or bad. Built-in protection is good, but if everyone used Windows 8 and everyone used this new built-in antivirus, then everyone would be at risk. I never tried it, but I heard good things about MSE, good detections and isn't a resource hog on the system, but a built in antivirus is going to have to be an all-in-one detections and protection against the likes of TDL4 and these fake HDD rogues that keep spreading around. Also, there is a fine between good detections and false positives - I work in the security community and no matter what version it is, I see AVG falsely detecting our malware removal tools, and I hope MS can keep good on their word.

Whatever their plan is for this built in antivirus, I hope it's light weight and doesn't drain the systems resource and has decent detection ratings. I just can't imagine Mcafee & Norton/Symantec are too happy about this though - we'll see how it plays out, but I honestly expect some lawsuits flying MS's way.

Expect another blog post soon, I'll grab some malware from MDL later when I've got W8 installed and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment